Pages

Monday, December 2, 2013

Advent for the Little Ones

I always have grandiose plans for Advent, that always take perfect shape in my head about December 15th.

One of these years, I will remember to put those plans, and the equipment for enacting them, in an accessible place on January 6th, when all the nativity stuff comes down and is stored away until the next year.

This year, however, I managed to get out our Advent Calendar and the wire frame to our Advent wreath.  Hopefully, I will be able to secure a few candles and some greenery before dinner tonight.  I may even, if I am very lucky, find a copy of the Advent booklet I put together for my church last year.

If not, we will do the short, short version.

When I wrote this for the Advent booklet for my church, I said that it was "especially for use with small children or those with special needs"--that is, for the Little Ones among us.

But it's also a good Emergency Use liturgy.  Because slackers, bumblers, and over-committed domestic engineers surely have special needs of their own.  And they can take great comfort in the parable of the generous vineyard owner and his eleventh-hour workers.

So, if you can't manage anything else, do this with your advent wreath.

If you're behind on your wreath-making, print of 24 copies of an Advent Wreath coloring page, and every night color the right number of candles on the page at the candle-lighting part of this liturgy.

A very, very short Advent liturgy

Leader: Jesus came to earth to save us.  He is coming again to bring us to his home.  He wants to come into our hearts every day.

[Light the correct number of advent candles: one during the first week, two during the second week, three during the third week, and four from the fourth Sunday until Christmas Day.]

Leader: This is the message we heard from Jesus and are telling you: God is light, and in him there is no darkness at all. (1 John 1:5)

[Teach the children this prayer, or say it on behalf of those who cannot speak for themselves]: Dear God, send your Light, your Son, Jesus, into our hearts.  Help us to follow him so that we may be your children.  Amen.

[Sing the first verse of I Want to Walk as a Child of the Light, UMH 206, together.]
I want to walk as a child of the Light
I want to follow Jesus.
God set the stars to give light to the world.
The star of my life is Jesus.
In him there is no darkness at all.
The night and the day are both alike.
The Lamb is the light of the city of God.
Shine in my heart, Lord Jesus.   

This liturgy was composed by me for my church's use.  I offer it freely for your domestic use or for publication within a (single) local church body.  I would love to hear from you if you use it in this way, and your kindness in crediting me would be appreciated.
 Please link back to this blog entry if you share this liturgy online.
Please contact me for permission to publish it in other contexts.
I do not own the copyright to I Want to Walk as a Child of the Light.  You will need to investigate licensing that hymn if you want to include it in any sort of publication or performance.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mer! Hope it's useful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A particularly nice version I think-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmo6A86mis0

    ReplyDelete