Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Say What?

I love the learning-to-talk stage.

There's something to love about (almost) every stage of your child's life, if you look for it.  Some years you have to look harder than others.  But the learning-to-talk stage doesn't take much work to enjoy.

New words and sentences come out of Amos's mouth almost every day, and we're constantly saying, "Wait, what?  When did he learn THAT?"

We're also constantly saying, "Wait, what?  What are you trying to say?  I just don't understand."

Like this morning.

Amos said, "Eee pa, grrrr."

"What, sweetie?"

"Eee pa, grrrrrrrr."

"I don't understand."

"Eee PA, grr."

"I'm sorry, I just . . ."

"EEEEE PA! GRRRRRRR!"

"Panda says grrr?"

:points emphatically at the empty middle of the room:

"I'm just not getting it, baby boy."

:points, screaming:
 "EEE PA! GR!"

And I finally looked out of the window and saw . . .


The squirrel was eating my lettuce plants.

I'm pretty sure he'd had half a salad while watching me not understand Amos.  I think I saw him smirk.

He'll stop smirking when he gets a peek at my google search history.

"Hunting season squirrel Alabama."
"How to field dress a squirrel."
"Brunswick stew recipe."
"Tanning squirrel hides."

Anyway, some days, communication goes more smoothly than others.  But it's fun to watch Amos grow in confidence that he can communicate with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment