Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Strange Sights

I've finally seen some hummingbirds at the feeder.

I don't have any pictures yet.

But before they started coming around, I did get a few photos of a very strange sight.


Well, it was strange to me, in any case.


A half dozen birds visited the hummingbird feeder, took turns drinking, and then flew away after about fifteen minutes.


None of them were hummingbirds.


They seem to be finches.  I'm inclined to say house finch, but I'm a little shaky on the difference between house finches and purple finches.  I'm a little shaky on bird identification in general, in fact.


I'm pretty sure these are female finches, but, again, I'm a little shaky.  If you told me authoritatively enough that these were immature bald eagles, I might believe you.  ("Astonishing growth rate the first year, you know.  Often travel with other species, of course, for camouflage.  Remarkable birds, old girl, don't you know?")

I haven't seen any other birds do this, and the finches haven't come back.

Weird.

(Of course, maybe they're thinking that about me.  "Okay, she's got sugar-water out.  That's fine for an appetizer, but where's the main course?  Weird.")


No comments:

Post a Comment