Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Reading List

I've started my reading for the year, and have finished two books so far!  Wahoo!

I decided that coming up with a reading list would be more helpful than not, so I took a stab at it.

A few years ago, I tried making up a year's reading list by picking ten books in ten different categories.  I think I'm going to go with a similar approach, but I found it helpful to think about taking a course in something.  When you're taking a course, you read some primary materials and some secondary studies.  So, I've tried to come up with courses I want to take this year and to come up with a reading list for those courses.

I also have a reading list for the courses I'm teaching this year, as well as a Just For Fun list, because everyone needs one of those.

I don't have all of them filled in yet, but there's enough there to start with.

Let me know if you're planning to read any of these this year, too!  And if you have any suggestions for me to bulk up any of these "courses," I'd love it!

Great Books: Ancient History
1.     * SWB Story of the Ancient World
2.     Copleston History of Philosophy
3.     * Aristotle, Politics
4.     * Plato, Apology
5.     * Plato, Laws
6.     * Epictetus, The Discourses

Theology: Patristics

7.   Brown, Body and Society
8.     Augustine, City of God
9.     * Ascetical Homilies of Saint Isaac the Syrian
10.  * Chrysostom, On Marriage and Family Life
11.  * Chrysostom, On Wealth and Poverty
12.  * Chrysostom, Homilies on St. John
13.  * Basil, On the Human Condition
14.  * Basil, On Social Justice
15.  * Lactantius, Divine Institutes
16.  * Ambrose, On the Duties of the Clergy
17.  * Griffiths, On Lying

Courtesy and Social Morality

18.  * Carter, Civility
19.  * Bourdieu, Distinction

Bioethics: Autonomy
20.  * Elshtain, Sovereignty
21.  * Elliott, Rules of Insanity
22.  * Weisstub, Autonomy and Human Rights in Health Care
23.  * Engelhardt, Philosophy of Medicine
24.  * Engelhardt, Bioethics Critically Reconsidered
25.  * Mazur, Informed Consent, Proxy Consent, and Catholic Bioethics
26.  * Pellegrino, For the Patient’s Good
27.  * Hester, Community as Healing
28.  * Taylor, Ethics of Authenticity

University Concerns

29.  Bain, What the Best College Professors Do
30.  Barzun, Begin Here
31.  * Twale, Faculty Incivility
32.  * Mason, Do Babies Matter?
33.  * Ward, Academic Motherhood
34.  * Nussbaum, Not for Profit

Jane Austen

35.  * Leithart, Miniatures and Morals
36.  * Chwe, Jane Austen, Game Theorist

Classes I'm Teaching

37.  The Portable Atheist
38.  Confucius, Analects
39.  Bhagavad Gita
40.  Santideva, Bodhicaryavatara
41.  Prothero, God is Not One
42.  Long, Christian Ethics
43.  Wells, Christian Ethics reader

Just For Fun

44.  * Howatch, Glittering Images
45.  * Matchar, Homeward Bound
46.  Gaskell, Cranford
47.  * Atwood, The Year of the Flood
48.  * Russell, The Sparrow
49.  Tolkien, Hobbit
50.  * Fforde, Woman Who Died a Lot

(Strikethrough means that I've finished reading them.  Asterisk means that I don't yet have a copy.)


No comments:

Post a Comment