Pages

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Yardwork

The first thing I noticed about the new house when we got here was that the yard was a lot shadier than I remembered.

Of course, the first time I saw it, I had seen seven houses already that day, and I went on to see four more, and I had just defended a dissertation and survived a car breakdown en route and . . . well, it's amazing that I was sentient at all.

So, here's the back yard, from the deck, left to right.




A lot of work to be done.

Fortunately, most of the trees that will need to be taken out are on our side of the property.  The trees on the east side of the house are not, though, and we'll just say nice things about them when we grumble about our air conditioning bill.

("Geez, this is high." "Yeah.  Thank goodness for our neighbors' shade trees, though.  It'd be even worse without them.")

So, for one more summer, we've got to limp along with the container garden.  Happily, the one spot in the back yard that gets full sun is just in front of the deck.



So, there we are.  We've gotten a few things started.  Will keep you updated.

3 comments:

  1. I would suggest you build a pergola to add some shade to that deck, complete with grape vines. You're going to need shade somewhere once you take own those trees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only just put some tomato plants in the ground myself. Wishing both our gardens Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about that, Kirsten!
    The back of the house faces north, though, and most of the deck is in shade most of the day, thanks to largish overhangs on the house. (The entire back wall, in fact, is windows, and yet the house stays rather dark all day.)
    We'll see what happens when the trees come down.

    Hope your tomatoes grow well, Tweedle!

    ReplyDelete