Pages

Monday, March 10, 2014

What I Read Last Week

(Besides, of course, a million papers on Hinduism.)

This is a lovely reflection for the beginning of Lent.  Even we high-church folk are a little childish in our church-going, sometimes.

I listened to this, rather than read it, and then I repented of having preached a merely entertaining Ash Wednesday sermon.

I read this lovely collection of reflections by women religious, and was reminded that a life hedged in by promises and renunciations is no less full than the allegedly unrestricted life.  Indeed, self-denial creates the conditions for an unlooked-for kind of flourishing.

I read this, and then stridently repeated it near verbatim to my offspring.  And then I wished the accompanying chart had provided guidelines for the adult consumption of screen entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment